Whenever you have or a loved one has kidney disease, it’s not easy to find and prepare the right food which proper health needs. There will be a lot of adjustment from your usual unhealthy eating habits to eating healthy meals three times a day. However, you don’t have to miss out on eating delicious food because there are tasty options out there which can also be good for your health. Eating in moderation and ensuring that each ingredient is within your recommended daily intake will help you make the most out of food choices.
We came up with a short compilation of healthy snack recipes for you to check now and then for ideas. These snacks are suitable for kidney patients, and they can also enjoy it with their loved ones.
Quick and Easy Lemon Curd
This vegetarian recipe is perfect as dessert or snacks. It’s low in phosphorus, potassium, protein, and sodium. You can eat it as is or with a slice of toast.
(Nutritional Info: 115 kcal, 14 grams carbohydrates, 1.0 grams protein, 54 mg sodium, 28 mg potassium, 20 mg phosphorus)
– 3 eggs
– 3 lemons, zested
– 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
– ½ cup butter, melted
– 1 cup granulated sugar
- Whisk eggs and sugar together in a microwave-safe bowl until it forms a smooth consistency.
- Stir in butter, lemon zest, and lemon juice into the egg mixture.
- Cook the mixture in the microwave for one-minute intervals. Stir the mixture after each minute until its thickness coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove the curd from the microwave and put in a sterile jar.
- You can store the lemon curd for up to three weeks in the refrigerator.
Delish Blueberry Squares
This is another healthy vegetarian recipe which is low in sodium, protein, potassium and phosphorus. Blueberries are one of the most recommended food for dialysis patients. Enjoy this no-cook delight as a snack or dessert!
(Nutritional Info: 173 kcal, 18 grams carbohydrates, 2.0 grams protein, 126 mg sodium, 58 mg potassium, 32 mg phosphorus)
– 1 ½ cups Graham cracker crumbs
– 2 cups blueberries
– 8-ounce tub non-dairy whipping cream
– 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
– ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
– ½ cup granulated sugar
– 1 teaspoon lemon juice
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix graham cracker crumbs and melted butter in a medium-size bowl.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of a nine-inch square baking dish. Press it evenly so as to form a crust.
- With the use of an electric mixer, mix cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl until smooth.
- Mix in lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Fold in the whipped topping gently.
- Then fold in the blueberries to the mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly over the graham crust.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Slice the dessert into squares and serve.
Hip Chocolate Chip Squares
Enjoy your daily dose of chocolate with this delectable snack which is low in sodium, protein, potassium, and phosphorus.
Servings: depends on slicing of squares
(Nutritional Info: 70 kcal, 0.5 grams protein, 39 mg sodium, 46 mg potassium)
– ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
– 1 ¼ teaspoons double-acting baking powder
– 1 ¼ cups flour with phosphate binders
– 2 eggs
– 1/3 cup margarine
– 1/14 cup brown sugar
– ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Mix eggs, brown sugar, and margarine until it forms a creamy consistency.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and powder from 96 phosphate binders.
- Add chopped nuts and chocolate chips to the mixture.
- Spread the mixture evenly into a greased pan.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Cut into squares.
BONUS RECIPE: Lemon and Blueberry Parfait
Who says that vegetarian desserts aren’t fun? This lemon and blueberry parfait is a festival on your palate. Do take note that the recipe is low in sodium, but high in potassium and protein.
(Nutritional Info: 220 kcal, 41 grams carbohydrates, 7 grams protein, 137 mg sodium, 361 mg potassium, 182 mg phosphorus)
– 2 cups fresh blueberries
– 10 gingersnaps, crumbled
– Two 8-ounce cartons non-fat lemon yogurt
- In a parfait glass, add ½ cup blueberries.
- Follow it with ½ cup lemon yogurt.
- Top with crumbled gingersnaps
- Do the same with the other three parfait glasses.
- Serve and enjoy, especially during hot days!